Monday, January 16, 2017

Cents-Able Menu - Week of January 16


Hello, Lovelies!  I hope your week is off to a good start!  Martin Luther King Day is a holiday for everyone in our family, so we have an extra day together to enjoy one another's company.  I especially love Monday holidays, because they are followed by a short work week!

As is typical, our menu showcases items from our pantry combined with fresh items that were on sale this week.  Fresh green beans were .88/lb, and we are having those.  We don't usually have fresh green beans out of season, but at that price, we decided we'd get some.  We also have red pepper (.88/ea), onion (.49/lb), and sour cream (1.10/16oz.)  Plain carrots (we peel them and make carrot sticks ourselves) are always a bargain, and celery was .98/bunch last week, so we got some at the end of the sale week.

Combined with other fresh produce purchased previously, along with items from our freezer and pantry, here is our dinner plan for this week.  There is an extra Sunday listed here, so that moving forward, I can post Monday-Sunday:

S - homemade chicken (turkey breast, actually) nuggets and oven fries, carrots and celery w/ranch, apple slices
M - sausage/potato/green bean bake (sheet pan meal), fruit salad
T - homemade tomato soup, grilled cheese sandwiches, sliced apples
W - marinated grilled chicken, rainbow pasta with garlic-butter sauce, sauteed green beans, sliced oranges
R - pulled pork sandwiches, homemade slaw, sliced apples
F - homemade chili, rice or crackers, carrots and celery, sliced oranges
S - chicken fajitas, Mexican rice, lettuce-tomato salad
S - grilled hamburgers, oven fries, carrots and celery, fresh fruit

What's on your menu this week, and what are you finding on sale in your stores?

2 comments:

  1. HI! Do you post your recipes? I would love to see how you make the nuggets and the tomato soup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried posting recipes when I started back up blogging, and the format was no good. I need to see if I can do PDF pages y'all can see/print. I'm working on that! The tomato soup isn't really a recipe - I use a butter-flour roux, add some home-canned tomato juice and herbs (garlic, basil) and a little sugar. It's just one of those 'whip it up' things. For the nuggets, I cut a bonless, skinless turkey breast into chunks, marinate those (a little soy sauce, some herbs) and then dredge in breadcrumbs and bake. They are not the prettiest (they don't brown as well as deep fried ones), but they are tasty. We have them with bbq sauce for Daughter and hot wing sauce for Husband and I. I will link to recipes whenever I can too!

      Delete

Thank you for commenting! I moderate all comments, so please be patient - I will get your comment posted just as soon as I can! (unless it's spam...then...sorry!)