Saturday, February 25, 2017

Frugal Accomplishments for the Week



Husband is still rocking the grocery deals.  We've spent very little at Safeway, but by combining sales and coupons with Ibotta deals, we've gotten more of the Monopoly game cards (and more yogurt, and canned goods, etc.).  We've gotten more coupons from that, along with instant wins for a couple of donuts or bagels (our choice), a french bread loaf, and a pound of bananas.  He's also gotten a couple of $5 credits for Fandango and a free online cooking class.  He also had a couple of gas discounts as a side effect, and used those to save 20 cents a gallon on gasoline.

Husband and I are watching an HBO series we borrowed from the library.  We've also checked out books and other materials, and I downloaded my five free songs for the week from Freegal.  I'm building up my Dan Fogelberg collection, five songs at a time!

We've gotten some seedlings planted for our garden.  There are a lot of flowers, a few herbs, some tomatoes and Malabar spinach.  Everything else we plant will go directly into the ground when it's time to plant.


I met a friend for lunch.  We had been going out to local restaurants (Wendy's, Culvers, etc. with a coupon), but this time (and hopefully, moving forward), we had a BYO picnic at a local park.  I took a peanut butter sandwich, carrots and celery, a can of soda (which I ended up not drinking, and saving for the next day), water, and chocolate chip cookies to share with my friend.  On another day, Husband and I had a lunch date at home.  It's only 2 1/2 miles for me to go home, and we shared a nice lunch and watched an episode of the HBO series I mentioned above.

Husband let me borrow his backup ear buds for listening to music on my phone.  I have had a terrible time findind ear buds that don't just fall out of my ears, but these have two sizes of silicone covers.  The smaller ones work quite well.  I will likely, eventually, order a pair of these ear buds from Amazon, where we have a fair amount of gift card credit on our account.

I've been working on a jigsaw puzzle in the evenings.  We purchased it at Goodwill, and after I've completed it, we'll likely send it to my in-laws in a care package.


We did some pet sitting for our neighbor.  When we need someone to feed our critters, they will return the favor.

I cleaned the light fixture in the kitchen.  It is an open-at-the-top bowl, so it gets pretty dusty.  When I replaced the cover, it was a little brighter in the kitchen.  I've read tip sheets before that suggest making sure all your light bulbs are clean/dusted, because they will give brighter, better light for your money.


Vegetable and dinner scraps went into our 'chicken bucket' and were given to the chickens as a supplemental treat.

I've attended a committee meeting, a training session and helped with interviews at a different location from my primary workplace this month.  I will turn in my mileage form for mileage reimbursement.  The reimbursement for mileage is higher than the cost of fuel for these trips (it also covers wear and tear on the vehicle) and will help supplement our fuel costs for the coming month.  If your company reimburses for work related mileage, I would definitely document mileage and turn it in - it can make a big difference!

We hung our laundry to dry, as we usually do, and used our wood stove to help heat our home.

How did you save this week?  What did you do to use what you have on hand?

10 comments:

  1. We love doing puzzles but cannot find a place that wants to take them when we are done. We are careful about not losing pieces and put the pieces in a Ziploc before putting them back in the box, so they are ready to pass on...frustrating because I don't want them around but even Good Will doesn't want them. Any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess different locations have different rules, because we purchase our puzzles at Goodwill. Do you have any local buy-sell Facebook pages? I've seen them sold there as well. You could also check with your library to see if the Friends groupu would take them to sell, or if the library would want one to set up for passive programming. When we are done with ours, we mail them to my in-laws. :)

      Delete
    2. Also check a senior citizens center, assisted living or nursing home, I'm sure they would love the puzzles.

      Delete
    3. If you decide to donate them, check your local nursing homes. Years ago I worked at one and the local residents loved putting together puzzles.

      Delete
  2. That is a beautiful light fixture!

    We had a Red box code and watched a movie for 35 cents. While we were out to pick up the movie we took advantage of a grocery deal right next door and picked up 4 free candy bars. I planned menus and we ran to Aldi today for all that we need for next week which totaled $12.01. We have been trying to eat down the freezer cooking meals. I cooked a turkey breast that needed to be used. We had lunch out one day for $4.84! It was delicious. We have found some great movies to watch on Amazon Prime. We watched 'Stick Man' with the grandchildren and we all loved it. Another was 'Taking Chance'.

    Hubby worked 8 hours this week. There had been some worry that he might not remember his technical job after the injury to his brain from the lack of oxygen. He did just fine! I took him out for lunch that day to the restaurant of his choice using my allowance money. It was a nice celebration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad your DH is doing so well - you two have a lot to celebrate! Thank you for the updates. :-)

      Delete
  3. I planted seeds in our basement this week too! :) It's a bit early but I soooo need a breath of spring. Our winter this year is never ending...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean! I think it's a bit early too, but I just needed the green and the smell of wet dirt. Hopefully we'll both be able to keep them going until spring really arrives!

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a great week! I love that puzzle.

    To take out movies from our local library costs per movie and we rarely rent any. However, they are less expensive than Red Box. Most of the time we settle for Netflix or an old favorite that we own on DVD.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our library doesn't charge for movies - they check out free just like books - but I know a lot of districts do have a fee. We have a Netflix account as well. I don't use it much, but Daughter and Husband both enjoy it.

      Delete

Thank you for commenting! I moderate all comments, so please be patient - I will get your comment posted just as soon as I can! (unless it's spam...then...sorry!)